Are you an individual with a particular passion and strategic vision to develop a local community owned asset with a strong, democratic value base?
Bridgend Farmhouse is a successful award winning community benefit society with charitable status based in South East Edinburgh. Following an effective campaign, it gained community ownership of the land in 2015 and has become a thriving community hub where people meet to carry out creative, physical, and purposeful activities and to share skills and knowledge with others. The organisation works to address social inequalities, reduce isolation and loneliness, strengthen community involvement, build local resilience, develop environmental education and stewardship, and support people to be active agents in their life. In 2021, Bridgend Farmhouse received the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service – the highest award a voluntary group can get in the UK.
Bridgend’s Board of Directors/Trustees is elected annually from a base of 400+ community shareholders, predominantly local, who aim to create a Sociocracy model of working together. The Board is currently steering change within their community hub and after a wide consultation, they are now implementing the findings of a change management process. You would be joining at an exciting time when Bridgend Farmhouse is emerging from the recent lockdowns and beginning to slowly re-engage with its local community.
Role and responsibilities of Bridgend Farmhouse Directors/Trustees:
Bridgend Farmhouse Directors/Trustees have a generic role in ensuring that the organisation meets its vision, aims, and objectives and fulfils the requirements of its regulatory bodies.
They are keen to invite people living in South East Edinburgh – with experience of governing organisations and passionate about community development – to sit on our Board of Directors/Trustees.
- Collectively develop strategy and priorities for the community hub to deliver the best possible community development practice and activities.
- Monitor and track how well the Farmhouse is delivering its contracted outcomes and the results of local consultations and surveys, taking action to ensure that staff, finance, and premises are used effectively and responsibly.
- Obtain funding to ensure the sustainability of Bridgend Farmhouse and monitor its finances to ensure resources are used efficiently and effectively.
- Take steps to ensure that risks are identified and actions are taken to minimise these.
Their Directors/Trustees are expected to:
- Be impartial – not act for any individual or group – and uphold collective decisions made by the Board.
- Question and challenge information constructively.
- Support their staff and invest in them.
- Be sensitive to the views of others inside and outside of the Board meetings.
- Create a positive culture which upholds the values and vision of Bridgend Farmhouse as a flourishing community aiming to learn, work, and grow together; promote equality and diversity; advance arts, heritage, and local culture; and encourage sustainability and environmental protection.
- Analyse and review complex issues, weigh up conflicting opinions, and reach sound and reasoned decisions.
What kind of person are we looking for?
They are particularly keen to recruit people with specialist skills in:
- Accounting & Finance
- Legal matters
- Business / Social enterprise
- Marketing & PR
- Management / Project management
- Health & Safety
- Hospitality / Events management
They are also looking for people from ethnic minority backgrounds – to increase the diversity of our Board.
Find out more information on their website: https://www.bridgendfarmhouse.org.uk/.
Or, please get in touch:
0131 564 0068