Vacancies to join our board of trustees
Imagine if every child had the opportunity to learn and pursue their ambitions to the fullest. That’s our vision. At Curiosity Collective, we give children the freedom to follow their curiosity and explore a world of learning outside the classroom.
We are looking for three new trustees to help proactively shape the future of our small, ambitious charity at an exciting time in our development.
There are currently the following skills and experience gaps within our board:
- Marketing and PR
We would like our team of trustees and staff to reflect the diversity of the community we serve and bring fresh perspectives to our work. We warmly welcome all applications and especially encourage those from people with experience of or working with those affected by poverty and inequality, people with disabilities, minority ethnic groups and younger people with no previous board experience.
In addition, we are keen to hear from applicants looking to take on a leadership role as a future chair of the board.
Curiosity Collective is a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO) working to increase access to opportunities for enjoyable, rewarding learning outside of school for all children in Scotland. We have a particular focus on mitigating the impact of poverty and inequality standing in the way of young people’s rights to learn, play and express themselves.
We currently support children and families through:
- Delivery of our Wonderbox programme, a learning and wellbeing activity bundle distributed through local partnerships to enable fun learning at home
- Partnerships with local authorities to build and sustain programmes that support accessible out-of-school learning experiences
- Working with organisations to incorporate young people’s perspectives into service design
- Development of Young Collective, a space for young people to tell us what sparks their curiosity, what’s holding them back from enjoying learning and co-designing a programme that will develop skills that empower them to make the changes they want in their lives and communities.
The board meets 4-6 times per year for 1-2 hours through a mixture of online and in-person events. As a small charity, board members also support the staff team through regular online and phone contact, no more than 1 hour per month.
Trustees are expected to ensure good governance of Curiosity Collective, ensuring compliance with all legal and financial requirements. They provide support for organisation’s strategic development and decision-making with regular attendance at board meetings, AGMs and short-life working groups as required. Trustees provide strategic vision and guidance as well as acting as critical friend and support to the staff team, particularly as we develop our Young Collective programme.
Rather than having specific professional experience, successful candidates will demonstrate:
- A clear commitment to the aims and values of Curiosity Collective
- Understanding of how learning can change lives for the better
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to challenge constructively
- Ability to think creatively
- Openness and honesty
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Curiosity and willingness to ask questions
How to Apply:
Before applying, we recommend arranging an informal chat with our Board Chair, Mary De La Peña, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
To submit your application, please send us details of relevant experience and a personal profile. You may choose to include a tailored CV, but this is not obligatory. Email your completed application to our Executive Director, Chloe Goodall, at email@example.com.
Current trustees will review all applications received and invite those who clearly demonstrate the relevant skills and experience listed above to a semi-formal interview.
Deadline for applications: Friday 9th June 2023
For more information, please visit our website: www.curiositycollective.org.uk.